By Scott Lorenz
Book fairs and festivals offer authors an excellent place to interact with fellow authors and publishers, network with book industry leaders, locate the help you need, such as a publicist or book editor, and learn what’s new in the marketplace.
Book fairs usually want speakers. By volunteering to speak, the author not only gains great exposure but can also add that appearance to their resume and press releases. One of my author clients was recently a member of a panel of authors at a Southern Book Festival. I issued a press release about it and added it to her accomplishments on her bio. Not only is she a respected author but she’s now an author admired by her peers. It’s these little things that all add up in the minds of reviewers and the media when they decide who they will write about. If you want to land a panel gig or speaking slot you must plan ahead; dates for panel participants, speakers and autograph sessions are usually arranged months in advance.
Here’s my list of upcoming book fairs and events that are worthy of your attendance in 2013.
- The Book Expo of America book fair will be held in New York City, New York May 30, 2013 through June 1, 2013. http://www.bookexpoamerica.com/Media/Press-Releases/
- Printers Row Lit Fest will be held in Chicago, Illinois from June 8, 2013 – June 9, 2013.http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/books/printersrowlitfest/
- The Books in Boothbay Book Fair (9th Annual) will take place June 13, 2013 in Boothbay, Maine.www.booksinboothbay.blogspot.com/
- The 2013 Lit Fest Book Fair will take place June 20, 2013 through June 22, 2013 in Denver, Colorado https://lighthousewriters.org/events/lit-fest
- The Harlem Book Fair in Harlem, New York will take place July 19, 2013 through July 20, 2013.http://www.qbr.com/harlem-book-fair.aspx
- The Rocky Mountain Book and Paper Fair will begin August 2, 2013 and finish August 3, 2013 in Denver, Coloradohttp://www.rmaba.org
- The Martha’s Vineyard Book Festival will begin August 3, 2013 and run through August 4, 2013 in Martha’s Vineyard, Massachusetts. http://mvbookfestival.com/2017
- The Brooklyn Book Festival will begin September 22, 2013 in Brooklyn, New York. http://www.brooklynbookfestival.org
- The Bookmarks Festival of Books will be held in Winston-Salem, North Carolina on September 7, 2013. http://www.bookmarksnc.org/festival-2017
- The Kansas Book Festival will be in Topeka, Kansas on September 7, 2013. http://kansasbookfestival.com/
- The Westchester Multicultural Children’s Book Festival will be September 14, 2013 in Westchester, New York.http://www.qbr.com/westchester-childrens-book-festival-1.aspx
- The South Dakota Festival of Books in Deadwood, South Dakota will run from September 20, 2013 to September 22, 2013. http://www.sdbookfestival.com/
- The National Book Festival will take place in Washington, DC from September 21, 2013 through September 22, 2013. http://www.loc.gov/bookfest/
- The Baltimore Book Festival will begin in Baltimore, Maryland on September 27, 2013 and end September 29, 2013.http://www.baltimorebookfestival.com/
- The Southern Festival of Books in Nashville, Tennessee will run from October 11, 2013 through October 13, 2013.http://www.humanitiestennessee.org/programs/southern-festival-books-celebration-written-word
- The Iowa City Book Festival will begin October 11, 2013 and end October 13, 2013 in Iowa City, Iowa.http://www.iowacitybookfestival.org/
- The Seattle Antiquarian Book Fair will begin October 12, 2013 and finish October 13, 2013 in Seattle, Washington.http://www.seattlebookfair.com
- The Texas Book Festival will begin October 26, 2013 and end October 27, 2013 in Austin, Texas.http://www.texasbookfestival.org/
- The Boston International Antiquarian Book Fair (37th Annual) will be held November 15, 2013 through November 17, 2013 in Boston, Massachusetts. http://www.bostonbookfair.com
- The Miami Book Fair International will kick off in Miami, Florida on November 17, 2013 and wrap up November 24, 2013. http://www.miamibookfair.com/
The bottom line: Make it a priority to visit a book fair in the coming weeks and months. You’ll be glad you did!
About Scott Lorenz
Scott Lorenz is President of Westwind Communications, a public relations and marketing firm that has a special knack for working with doctors, lawyers, inventors and authors. His clients have been featured by Good Morning America, FOX & Friends, CNN, ABC Nightly News, The New York Times, Nightline, TIME, PBS, NPR, the Los Angeles Times, USA Today, Washington Post, Family Circle, Woman’s World, & Howard Stern to name a few. To discuss how Westwind Communications helps its clients get all the publicity they deserve and more, call 734-667-2090 or email:email@example.com . Visit: https://www.westwindcos.com